Sunday 6 December 2009

I wish I had this when I was in 3rd grade...

This is really cool. It's a PDF/PowerPoint presentation on this inner-city school in New York City, around Central Park, that has been using state-of-the-art music technology in their classes, with help from a pretty darn passionate teacher, Ms. Karen Garrett.

The basic premise, at least at this school, is that a select number of third-graders (around 50-100 each year) get to go into the lab for an hour a week, and just use the whole array of keyboards, computers, and internet services at their own speeds. They learn how to use the keyboard and read, write, compose, print, and publish music using a computer...something that is simply amazing, something that I thought only well-to-do schools like mine would be able to afford and provide for.

Supplementary to that, Garrett has created an online website at Music Technology where she and her associates put up links to help other music/tech teachers with their classes. There are a whole array of music lessons, quizzes, and how-tos, and for her hard work she was voted TI:ME teacher of the year.

This is amazing. I love music, and I really do think there is a strong, positive correlation between music use by kids and their quality of life. Music makes me happy - there is scientific proof that there is a connection between our emotions and the music we're listening to...just read this. By bringing music into the classroom, you're really bringing happiness to the kids, and that's something really wonderful. The fact that they're using technology to push it to that next level is even better.

2 comments:

  1. This is incredible! I wish I had this too, in third grade - or even now. I think it is great that a school like this can provide such a fantastic little music program that truly must make the students so happy. I also think it is fantastic that the kids get to work at their own pace and create whatever music they chose, and this teacher sounds incredible. It is wondeful that she is willing to share her teaching methods with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great program. When I was that age I remember my technology class to be a boring and ineffective keyboarding program. Also, I remember art class as hours singing in the choir room... definitely no where as good as what these kids have.

    ReplyDelete