Sunday 8 November 2009

X-Factor and Public Consumption

OK, I might be stretching the boundaries of what is acceptable on this "music and technology" blog, but it's my party and I'll post if I want to, right?

Anyway, the X-Factor is so stellar this year, but I rarely have time to sit down and watch it, because I'm usually out on Saturday nights when it comes out. Woe is me, but that's where the almighty YouTube comes in. Thank the stars for Channel 4's more lenient public broadcasting laws, because almost as soon as the program shows on live TV, they upload the performances to YouTube so I can watch them. In HD video and sound, too.

Some people might gripe that the C4 bosses will be losing revenue because more people will watch it this way, for free online, but I think the opposite - more people will tune in when it they're watching TV because they've seen it online first. They're reaching a whole new audience with this free online situation, which is brilliant for both the consumer (who is getting their show for free) and the producer (who will get more publicity, and thus more money). Win/win.

So, that being said, enjoy Olly Murs performing on Diva week. I like the flapper dresses in the background:

1 comment:

  1. I think this definitely fits into the category of your blog. I liked this post and I enjoyed the video :-)

    ReplyDelete