Sunday 1 November 2009

Headphones and Sound Quality


Back in the day, when music wasn't about what beats could be played loudest in as many clubs as possible, musicians and producers really and truly cared about the sound of their product. They created special microphones to pick out the right vibrations of sound waves, went through reels and reels of tape to get the right sounding takes, and listened to the songs over and over again to make sure it was perfect. Now, I'm not saying that music today is sloppily thrown together - with the implementation of computer technology into the equation, it is simply easier to make louder, stronger bass and drum lines.

We also have forgotten what it is like to listen to these songs at their premium. No longer looking for the best speakers in town, we tend to be content with our tinny computer speakers and those little earbuds they make for a dime a dozen in China. When I got my first pair of "real" headphones last year, I was amazed at the difference in the sound quality.

These Sennheiser HD 800 are the best on the market, and although they are most certainly out of my price range at just under $1400 a pop, I still want them! Imagine the quality of the bass, the distortion-free clarity.

picture from http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/sennheiser-hd-800.php

3 comments:

  1. You are right, even my bose noise-canceling head phones, which aren't up to the caliber of these Sennheiser HD 800s, make a huge difference in listening to music. They produce a much better sound than the cheap white apple headphones. Don't get me wrong, I use my apple head phones every day, but they never last long and the sound quality is not that great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah such a shame they are so expensive! i would love to have a pair too, but there are still many great headphones out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive wanted to get a pair of good headphones for the longest time as a few friends of mine have them, and I always try to steal them to get a few good seconds of music. Noice canceling headphones make music such a better expierence, and I feel that you can only truly know what the music sounds like when litening in good quality.

    ReplyDelete